Why Do I Need Motorcycle Insurance?
If you get in a motorcycle accident with another vehicle, you will be responsible for costs associated with the accident if you are found partially or totally at fault. Without insurance, you would have to pay those expenses out of pocket. Oregon motorcyclists must have these minimum insurance policies:
- $20,000 in property damage liability
- $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per person and $50,0000 per accident for bodily injury caused by an uninsured motorist
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Liability coverage pays for medical expenses and property damage resulting from an at-fault motorcycle accident. You may want to purchase additional liability insurance beyond the legal limits, which can limit your chance of financial loss in a lawsuit. Uninsured motorist coverages pay for your property damage and medical expenses if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, as well as medical expenses resulting from a collision with a pedestrian.
In addition to the required coverage, you may also want medical coverage. This covers your treatment bills and expenses as well as those of a passenger if either of you is injured in an accident. Collision insurance covers damage to your vehicle in the event that an accident was your fault. Comprehensive coverage protects your bike from theft, vandalism, fire, and storm damage. Other optional coverages include roadside assistance in case of breakdowns and coverage for the cost of replacing custom parts and equipment you’ve added to your bike.
What Questions Should I Ask My Agent?
Asking the right questions helps our team find the best coverage for your needs. During your initial consultation, we’ll answer these and any other inquiries:
- How do I submit a claim if an accident occurs?
- How will my claim be settled?
- How much liability and medical coverage do I need?
- Do I qualify for any special rates for installing anti-theft devices on my bike?
- Do you offer multi-policy discounts for bundling homeowner’s, life insurance, or other policies?
- How much money can I save by increasing my deductible?
- What should I expect if I have an issue with my claim? How do you resolve customer service issues?
At Focus1 Insurance Group, we pride ourselves on treating our customers like family. We look forward to discussing your motorcycle insurance and other policy needs at your free consultation. Call 541-772-3120 to receive a free quote today.